This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure to learn more.
Just a few weeks ago, I shared a little bit about a side hustle gig that allows Californians to earn money while saving energy. OhmConnect is a third party that will partner with PG&E, SCE, and SDG&E to track your particular household’s electricity usage. During their one-hour events, you are prompted to reduce your energy spending at times when average energy usage runs high. They return the favor by paying you. Yes, REAL money. In an effort to not sound redundant, I will simply link the previous post here in case you missed it.
Our house has participated in a few of these events and I want to say that it actually works! And we’ve had a ton of fun trying to brainstorm a slew of alternative activities. It’s a chance of a lifetime to go off-the-grid without really going anywhere. The challenge lies in the fact that, still in California, there is a semi-shut-down. Movie theatres and shopping malls are still closed, the schools are out, and the restaurants are to-go or outdoor seating only. So… what do we do?
Here, I collected a list of quarantine-friendly activities that do not require electricity. Some may require a phone or laptop, but you can plan ahead for those. It doesn’t say zero electronics, only zero electricity. Charge away!
- Learn a language with Duolingo.
- Do a yoga routine with Adriene.
- Pick up a book and catch up on your reading.
- Budget with YNAB.
- Already have a budget? Learn to master it.
- Plan the dream vacation.
- Start earning credit card points so you can travel for FREE. I would begin with Southwest.
- Get ahead on goal-setting with Smitten On Paper.
- Open a high yield savings account to start earning money passively.
- Go on a run outdoors using the Nike Run App.
- Take the kids to the park or…
- Release the sprinklers in the front yard.
- Deep clean the home.
- Start that renovation project you keep talking about.
- Have a candle-lit dinner.
- Soak in a bath with relaxing bath salts.
- De-clutter the closet.
- De-clutter the pantry and fridge.
- Watch the sunset on the porch or balcony.
- Write poetry.
- Take the dog on a walk, or earn money walking dogs on Rover.
- Drive a scenic route.
- Call your parents.
- Write a letter (to actually mail). Perhaps a birthday card?
- Drink coffee without distraction.
- Take a nap (A favorite!)
- Get a massage (from your child or a spouse).
- Play a boardgame.
- Start a puzzle.
- Meditate with Headspace.
- Get food delivered via Dashpass or make money on Dashpass.
- Learn a new skill or hobby on Skillshare.
- Learn how to monetize a blog.
- Make a plan to go zero-waste.
- Organize your paperwork and bills. Make a pile for when you can turn on that paper-shredder.
- Take care of the plants.
- Paint or draw.
- Sit and do nothing (also a favorite!)
- Build legos.
- Give the pet a bath.
- Hand wash the car.
- Hand wash the clothes. And dishes while you’re at it.
- Cuddle with the cat.
- Have a bonfire (on the beach or backyard).
- Listen to a podcast.
Doesn’t all this sound great? And you get paid to do these things. If anything, I consider these OhmEvents forced mini-stay-cations. If you use my referral link here, you will automatically get $10 credit into your account, just for your good intention. Also, if you live elsewhere, don’t think that you can’t participate. Cutting down on electricity usage also cuts down the bill.