I’ve never given birth before so hospital bag packing advice may not be the most tried-and-true, coming from me. But I’ve gone ahead and packed one anyway, because what else? I have taken the list home from my doctor, listened to advice from mommy friends, and read blogs from minimalists galore. I am taking what I believe to be essential to me, which isn’t above creature comforts such as cozy socks. I’m also not so minimalist as to leave my baby’s attire to the hospital cap and gown (sorry!). The cute stuff I’ve brought, too. But I’ve paired the packing back so it’s light enough that I can toss it into my truck in case I am home alone when it becomes time. So I’ve skipped the personal pillow, the mood candles, the hair drier and massage oils. I have also taken my doctor’s advice to not bother with sani -pads or underwear. Looks like baby and I will be going home in hospital diapers!
What I Am Packing in my Hospital Bag
- One take-home attire for baby. We chose this onesie from Bonsie so we could skip packing socks and mitts.
- One cute muslin swaddle from Dock-A-Tot.
- His infant car-seat, gifted from his grandparents and great-grandparents.
- 2 Nightdresses which are really housedresses from Nesting Olive. It is my favorite maternity product!
- 1 going-home attire – another loose fitting dress from Eileen Fisher.
- A robe. Instead of taking my pretty one from Parachute, I will be bringing a Target robe that I would sacrifice in a heartbeat to the cause.
- Maternity pumping/nursing bra from Kindred Bravely (get 15% off your order here!).
- Cozy socks. My Darn Tough hiking socks will do.
- A handy dandy water bottle with bendy straw. I am using one of Mike’s old Hydroflasks but this mama bottle from BinkMade would be a dream.
- Hair tie and a head band. It’s gonna be the workout of my life.
- A kindle with books to read on it. Because I am under the impression I would get bored, for some reason.
- Cell phone + charger.
- Lip Balm.
- Photo ID, Insurance, Hospital Forms, Birth Plan.
- Non-perishable snacks.
- An extra change of clothes.
- Switch, Cell Phone, and Charger
For once, I think I hit middle ground in terms of quantity. I am not bringing a massive bag to the hospital. But I am also not being so spare as to give up creature comforts. Let me know if there’s something I’m lacking. We’ve still got a few weeks left.
Photo by Erol Ahmed on Unsplash
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure to learn more.